Are you doing everything you can to keep your child's smile healthy? Dental problems are almost completely preventable with regular visits to a family dentist and consistent dental care at home. Remington Family Dentistry, which is located in Remington, VA, provides a wide range of oral health care services to patients of all ages. Dr. Courtney Ashby is one of the finest family dentists in Remington, VA. Here are five common pediatric dental treatments that you should know about.
1. Dental Sealants- Dental sealants are recognized as an effective approach to preventing cavities in kids and teenagers. Dental sealants are plastic coatings painted on the surfaces of the back teeth. The cost of dental sealants is a small price to pay compared to the cost associated with dental work that may become necessary if your child's back teeth remain unprotected.
2. Topical Fluoride- Fluoride, a substance found naturally in water, plays an important role in cavity prevention and healthy tooth development. Fluoride treatments help to prevent cavities in children and adults. Fluoride helps prevent cavities by making the teeth more resistant to acid attacks from sugars and bacteria in the mouth. Fluoride treatments also reverse early tooth decay.
3. Root Canal Therapy- Sometimes children need root canal therapy. A root canal is a procedure that is used to repair teeth that are infected or badly decayed. Root canal therapy is a way of saving a tooth with infection or inflammation by removing the pulp in the center of the tooth. Root canal treatment has a high success rate. Root canal treatments have a success rate of 99.3 percent, according to the American Association of Endodontists.
4. Dental Bonding- Dental bonding is the application of tooth-colored resin using a light source, which bonds the materials to the teeth to improve a child's smile. Dental bonding is routinely used to repair broken teeth, chipped teeth, and decayed teeth. Dental bonding is also used to close gaps between teeth and improve the appearance of discolored teeth. The procedure requires only one visit to a pediatric dentist.
5. Dental Fillings- Children get more cavities than adults. When children have cavities, their dentists will likely recommend that they get fillings. Dental fillings are used to treat cavities and repair broken teeth. A dental filling is a way to restore a damaged tooth back to its normal shape and function.
Keep your child's smile healthy! Call Remington Family Dentistry at (540) 439-8335 now to schedule a dental appointment for your child in Remington, VA. Taking good care of your smile is a worthy goal in and of itself. Your child deserves to have a smile that is both healthy and beautiful.